Long about this time every year The Captain's birthday rolls around. He's actually home this year, which is nice. Not that he wanted to go do anything. Just a nice lazy day at the house.
Having him home for his birthday, as oposed to being on the boat somewhere, means that I get to feed him.
He requested chicken-fried steak, biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy. I like that about him. He appreciates my cooking.
And that led me to thinking about all the other things I like about The Captain. And it being his birthday and all I thought I'd list a few of them here.
- I love that he wants to watch stupid movies with me. We're watching Beetlejuice right now. Yesterday we watched Smokey and the Bandit. The other day it was Animal House. That's just how we roll.
- He appreciates a good lazy day just as much as I do.
- He's just as messy as I am. I think we've already been over how horrible I am at picking up after myself. Luckily The Captain is too. You might think this is a bad thing, but I think it would be the third level of hell to have to live with somone who is a neat freak when you yourself are Pig Pen.
- He likes good music - mostly. He does have a strange propensity for 80s on 8, while I myself am more of a Lithium girl. But we usually do allright on long road trips. Which leads me to the next thing. . .
- He loves a good road trip. Which is a good thing, because I desperately love a good long road trip. We've done everything from short jaunts to truly legendary and we're constantly thinking about where we could go next and what we could see along the way.
- He puts cottage cheese on his mashed potatoes. Weird, yes. But then again, he doesn't think it's too weird when I eat all the cheese and toppings off of my pizza before I eat all the crust.
- He can lift heavy things. You cannot underestimate the importance of being able to lift heavy things.
- I like that we actually like to spend time together. I've never understood how two people could be married to each other and then proceed to spend all their time bitching about each other. Why would you willingly commit to spending all your time with a person that you don't actually want to spend any time with.
- And I like that we don't have to be in each others faces 24/7. He likes to play video games, I like to read. He likes to golf, I like to go to yoga.
- I love that every night at 7:30 we watch Jeopardy. Just like we have since we were dating. Just like people who are twice our age. And I like that sometimes he even beats me.